Sweet 'Sweet Pulao'


I don’t know the origin of this dish, but eating it reminds me of sweet Sunday family meals. .. I guess I should have put this dish under the label of mangy food.  Hmm. I guess it’s a childhood memory sort of dish for me. I don’t really know what the exact recipe is, but I tried making it my way and it turned out exactly the way I remember eating it.

So you will need:
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups boiling water
2 tbsp ghee
2 tsp sugar
2 cloves, 1 stick cinnamon, 2 star anise
1 sliced onion
Cashew nuts and raisins.
Salt to taste.
I used a cooker to make this pulao, it seemed quite fool proof and didn’t turn out pich poch...
So in a cooker, heat 1 tbsp ghee, and fry the spices. Add the  rice, that has been washed and drained. Fry the rice well. Add 2 cups boiling water. Add the sugar and salt, and taste it. The water should taste a little sweet, not too much, you don’t want it to be a dessert. J
Close the cooker, and let the rice cook on high flame for about 7 mins, without using the weight on the nozzle. After 7 mins, reduce the flame to low, and cook for another 5 mins.
While the rice is cooking, in a pan, heat one tbsp ghee, and fry the sliced onion. You can add a tsp of sugar to the onions. They brown really well and taste great. Then add the nuts and raisins and fry them well.
Open the cooker and check if the rice is done.  Add the fried onions, nuts and cashews.........
Enjoy ..........


Comments