Rum n Raisin Ice Cream


Trying out recipes has almost become an obsession for me now. Hmm. I read cookbooks, the way people read magazines or novels. And for someone interested in cooking, a recipe book is the perfect gift. So my cousin knew just exactly that when she gifted me this amazing ' Ice cream book' by Joanna Farrow n Sara Lewis. And just as anyone who get on with reading a new bestseller novel, I started reading this book right away. There were so many yummy things I wanted to try out and I had a hard time deciding on one. But then when you think of dessert and you think of rum , its almost too tempting to resist.
So I got to admit it didn't have the creamiest texture, it was after all home made ice cream, but then again the joy for me was in knowing that I made it.. at home.........

Here's what you will need:
1 cup raisins
4 tbsp rum ( I used Old Monk )
4 egg yolks
6 tbsp Brown sugar
1 tsp cornflour
300 ml milk
300 ml cream

To get started , mix the raisins with the rum . Cover and leave to soak for a couple of hours or overnight if possible.
Whisk the egg yolks, with the sugar and cornflour in a large bowl , till thick and foamy. Pour the milk into a heavy based saucepan and bring it to just below boiling point. Gradually whisk in the milk into the egg mix. Pour back into pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly till it forms a smooth custard. Take off heat and leave to cool.
Whip the cream till it is just thick and fold it into the cooled custard. Put it in a container and freeze for 4 hours, beating once in between with a fork or electric beater.( this is done to make sure icicles don't form in the ice cream) Fold in the raisins and freeze for 2 to 3 hours or until firm enough to scoop. Make sure you cover the container, using an air tight one is preferable.

Yeah I know it takes time to make this one, but I think it was definitely worth the effort. So go ahead and give it a try. And do let me know how it goes... I'll be waiting to hear your ice cream story............. Cheers!!!!!!



Comments