Baps: Homemade Bread





Ever tried making bread at home? Ever tried and had a disaster. Bread that didn't rise, that didn't brown, that didn't look like bread or bread that a saw couldn't slice? Ok the saw could be an exaggeration. But I've had my share of the other kind of bread disasters. I had almost given up on the idea of homemade bread till I came across this recipe for baps in a recipe book I had. ''Muffins and Breads''. . Baps, the word was new to me and I turned to my best friend to know more; Google. Geez I sound like a geek. Anyhow, figured out that Baps are a kind of bread that usually contain some fat, like butter in this case, and have both sweet and non sweet versions. I made the non sweet version, figured the foodie on duty ( my husband) and I could have it for breakfast. I made them, saw them and I conquered. They were exceptionally soft, tasty when served with some melted butter and I figured in the end, they could pass off for burger buns. Imagine, what fun and sense of achievement if you make burger buns at home.
Here starts the adventure:

Ingredients:
 2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
125ml warm water
125 ml warm milk
335 gm flour( maida) plus extra for dusting.
1 tsp salt
40 g butter


Method:
 Mix the sugar, yeast, water and milk and keep aside till the mixture turns frothy, about ten mins. Make sure you are using a good brand of yeast. If the mixture doesn't froth up in ten mins, it could mean the yeast you are using is old or gone bad. In that case, you'll have to abort the adventure. Also the sugar is not used for sweetness but to activate the yeast. So dont skip add the sugar. The water and milk should be warm, not too hot or cold.
In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Rub in the butter. Add the frothy yeast mixture and mix with a wooden spoon to form a dough. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 mins.
The dough should feel soft and a bit elastic. If its sticky, add a little flour. Let the dough rest in a well oiled bowl, till it doubles in size, or for about 45 mins. You'll need to let it rest in a warm place, covered, for the yeast to activate. Here's a little tip. Turn on your oven for about 5 mins. Turn if off and place the bowl in the oven. The heat will help the dough rise.
Rise to the occasion !!!
Divide and Conquer

When the dough has doubled in size, knead it again and divide into 6 equal portions or more, if you want smallers buns.  Shape into a ball and place them 2 inches apart on a floured baking tray. Let them stand again for about 10 mins, the dough will rise, again. Though this wasn't in the recipe, I also added few sesame seeds on top of the buns. You can also try some dried herbs if you want to.
They'll need to go into a hot oven, so as they rise, preheat your oven to 225C. When they have risen dust the buns with a little flour and indent centres with your finger. Don't know the reason behind that, guessing they need to look that way. You can skip it if you wish. Bake them in your pre heated oven for about 20 mins.

You will know they are done, when they turn a little brown and you can try the age old method, ' tap the bottom of the bread, if it sounds hollow it is done'
 Serve them warm with a little dot of butter on top.


I have to urge you to make these.  This was the most simple recipe for bread that I tried and conquered with such ease. Amatuer, beginner and even if you've never tried baking before, try this and you will not be dissappointed. I know baking bread sounds intimidating but then would I lead you astray?


Comments