One pot Chicken rice.


I love the idea of a one pot dish. Not only does it sound like a great concept, but it involves so much lesser effort.  Its like dumping all your ingredients in one pot and coming up with something utterly delicious.

I watched this recipe on Donna Hay’s show and found it super easy and simple. I tweaked the recipe a bit, with a couple of ingredients and the dish turned out great.
It took less than 25 mins to make, hardly any ingredients, and yet , I can't decribe the amazing aroma that was invading my kitchen while it was boiling away. I could barely wait fot it to finish cooking so that I could eat it.

There are only these few ingredients you’ll need

1 ½ cups basmati rice . ( The recipe asked for jasmine rice, and I didn’t have any. So. . )

3 cups water. ( Originally , 3 cups of chicken stock. I used a Maggie cube instead)

1 maggie cube

Chicken , cut into curry pieces .

4 cloves garlic , sliced

Ginger, sliced

1 tbsp green chilly sauce

Fresh basil leaves,

Spring onions for garnish.

 And then its so simple to make.

Put a large pot on the stove and add three cups water. As it comes to a boil, add the sliced ginger, garlic and the green chilly sauce. The recipe suggested 1 chopped green chilly, but I didn’t have any.  Somehow, my kitchen functions for months with any green chillies around. Add the chopped basil leaves. I added basil leaves, though it wasn’t in the recipe. I though it’d add a nice freshness to the dish. And yes it did.
Bring the dish to a boil and add the chicken. Let it cook  for about 5 to 7  mins. This initial cooking time for the chicken could differ depending on what pieces of chicken you use. I used legs and thighs. If you are using boneless chicken or chicken breasts, you can add the chicken after the rice, as it will require much lesser coking time. Add the rice, check salt, stir the rice once. Cover the dish, lower the flame , to the least you can and let it cook for 20 mins.
And voila, 20 mins later, your meal is ready. The water should've dried up by now, and if it hasn't, don't worry, thats a little extra soup. Make sure the rice is cooked though. Garnish with spring onions.  Again the  serving suggestion was soya sauce, I tried it, but I felt the dish didn't need it. It was beautiful on its own. Perfect weekday meal, so simple, fresh and super YUM.

Comments

  1. simple and super at the same time!!! gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky. Its as simple as it can get. Happy Cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment