Mango Cake

With mangoes in season, it's only fair, that I try out a lot of mango based recipes. So apart from the usual mango fool, mango lassi and all that, I was desperate to try a mango cake. I searched for an easy mango cake recipe, somehow most were egg less and while I'd totally want to try egg less baking, I couldn't really find a recipe that called out to me, till ....... I had a friend who sent me a picture of a mango cake he tried and told me it was a very simple recipe. The cake looked good and the recipe seemed almost too simple. That sounded PERFECT. Just what I needed. Thank you Vinay for this recipe.


So this is a one bowl mango cake. Yes one bowl!!!!!! and I should also call it a ONE WHISK mango cake, coz that's ALL I needed to do to make this batter. No beating butter, no whipping up eggs, nothing. Just toss all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk it together. That's it.!!!!!!! Hard to believe right. I know......
So if you've never baked before or you don't like to bake because it is too much effort, and you end up with too many vessels to wash, get ready to change your mind. This recipe is going to do just that for you. This cake doesn't have a sponge like texture, it's sort of more dense but moist and puddingish... I know , I just made up that word. . . It's got a texture of its own and you'll have to try it to know. It's a simple, tea time cake, not too fancy or indulgent but the fact that it is sooooooo easy to bake, makes it a favourite recipe you'll want to bookmark right away...






Are you ready ????????????????


So here is how we go about this. Hang on for the recipe.

Get all your ingredients together first.... Flour, egg, oil, mango pulp, sugar, baking soda, vanilla essence, curd and some salt.  I used the milky mist curd. It is thick and just looks very appealing... :) For the powdered sugar, just put granulated sugar in the mixer and whizz away. I used olive oil, because I had run out of regular oil. You can use regular oil and it'll work just fine.



Then toss all the ingredients  in a bowl ........... So really, you don't need to beat the egg first. Just add all the ingredients one by one to the bowl. How cool is that. You don't need to worry about getting the butter creamy or the egg fluffy. You can see how I have just dumped all the ingredients in my favourite blue bowl.


The next step calls for some effort.... NOT.... With a whisk , just bring all the ingredients together. A whisk works like magic in a cake batter, it ensures there are no lumps, or bits of flour that clump up and refuse to blend. So whisk around gently till the batter comes together like this...



Pour the batter into your baking tin and bake in a pre heated oven ... That's all. .....





The cake takes about 30 mins to bake. While you will enjoy the cake plain, I was just tempted to add some whipped cream and some chopped mango and of course I had to get rid of the temptation , by giving in to it. So that's what I did. But I can assure you , you will enjoy this cake even without any of these frills..




Here is the recipe:

One Bowl Mango Cake :


Ingredients :

1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup curd
1/4 cup oil
Pulp of 1 mango
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda.
1 cup flour


1.First preheat the oven to 170 C. Butter a 6 inch round baking tin and dust with flour. Tap out the excess flour.
2. To make the mango pulp, peel/scoop one mango and blend it to a pulp in the mixie.
3. In a large bowl, add the sugar, curd, oil, mango pulp, vanilla essence and egg.
4. Sift in the flour , salt and baking soda
5. Using a whisk, bring all the ingredients together.
6. Gently put the batter in the baking tin and bake for about 30 -35 mins.
7. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean
8. Let the cake cool. You can top it with some whipped cream and chopped mango or enjoy it plain.





Comments

  1. Can't make up my mind . Between this and the mango cheese cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheesecake is a personal favourite. So i'd be partial

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment