American Pancakes

There are only a hundred kind of pancakes. Each region, country has it's own definition of a pancake. English pancakes from England, Pikelets in Australia, Blini from Eastern Europe and Crepes from France are some.  In India, we have Uttapam, neer dosa in Mangalore ( I can eat nothing less than 8 of these at one go ) and Appams from South India and many more.


I chose to make these American Pancakes, after I came across the recipe in Nigella's "How to be a Domestic Goddess " . The title of the book is reason enough to buy the book I reckon. And if ever you could call someone a Domestic Goddess really, it has to be Nigella Lawson. Let's not fight it.





I'm going to keep this post short and simple, just like the recipe. After having successfully  made these a few times , they have been added to my list of Breakfast Solutions . I must admit I did have a bit of nervous history with making pancakes, specially worried whether if they would lift off the pan with ease. These do. The batter is of a semi thick consistency and as Nigella says " all you need to remember is when the upper side of the pancake is bubbling, it's time to cook the second side". This takes only about a minute.

I halve the recipe when I make these, which makes them perfect to make enough pancakes for two. If you need to make for more people, use the recipe as is given below.These pancakes are thick and spongy and go great with honey. You can blitz all the ingredients in the mixer or just make the batter using a whisk. I went with the whisk.



American Pancakes

Makes 10

225 gms plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
2 eggs, beaten
30 gms melted butter
300 ml milk
Butter for frying.

1. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
2. Make a well in the center of the flour. Add the milk, melted butter and beaten eggs. Bring together with a whisk.
3. Heat a pan. Dot with a bit of butter, and pour a ladle full of batter.
4. Fry on both sides. Serve with honey.

Comments