Peanut butter and white chocolate blondies

It's been a while since I made Blondies. Also I've been dying to try loads of recipes from my Bake cookbook by Rachel Allen. This book was a birthday gift from my mother last year and has been my added to my list of baking bibles ever since. This book as the name suggests has every bake recipe you've always wanted to try. Talk about puff pastry, quiche Lorraine, soda bread, profiteroles, Christmas cake. . .  . . Everything!!!!!! I couldn't be more glad to add it to my favourite cookbooks list .


One of the many recipes I bookmarked with a bright pink post it note in this book, was this recipe for peanut butter and white chocolate blondies. It seemed a bit too simple to sound so heavenly and yet, I blindly dived into making them, just like I would into any Rachel Allen recipe. Some of the other Rachel Allen recipes I've tried are sticky toffee date cakesbanoffee blondiesmarbled chocolate crumble cake, and one of my favourite cakes; orange and lemon cake. Need I say more why and how much I love her. . . . .


Back to the blondies in question now. So this recipe seems a bit too simple and easy to turn into something heavenly but that's the gift of baking. Very often, the effort is hardly proportional to the magical food it produces. So I didn't really worry about these would turn out. And so it happened. . These blondies were buttery and  chewy with little crunchy bits of peanut. I made a whole batch and before I could devour them all in a go, I packed a few pieces for my cousins I was catching with lunch the following day. I thought to myself " let them eat cake" Tsk tsk.

So like I've been saying all along in this post, these are VERY easy to make. Once you've prepped the tin to make the blondies, it's all whisk and mix. Honestly, prepping the tin was the only "effort" here.

Make sure you use crunchy peanut butter, or else you'll miss the crunch in the blondies. If your peanut butter has been sitting in the fridge, keep it out for a while, to soften. Roughly chop the white chocolate, I did and it worked just fine.


  Once you've creamed the butter and peanut butter, you toss in the sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Finally the flour and baking powder,  in goes the chocolate and your blondies mix is ready. This mix is more like a dough, or a very thick batter if you will call it. So don't let the consistency alarm you, it's as expected. These blondies take about 30 mins to bake and turn golden brown when they are ready.



Let them cool in the tin for a bit. When they have, run a knife through the edges. I found that they were a bit sticky on the sides, despite the generous greasing of the tin. Once I ran a knife through the edges, I turned the tin over onto a board and with a slight tap, I had a gorgeous slab of blondies on my board. I had them plain and they made perfect sense, but just adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream on these warm blondies will instantly transform it into a delicious dessert.


Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Blondies :
Adapted from :  Bake by Rachel Allen
Makes 12 Blondies


Ingredients :
125 gms flour
1 tsp baking powder
100 gms butter
150 gms crunchy peanut butter
175 gms demerera sugar ( The original recipe uses soft brown sugar)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
75 gms white chocolate, roughly chopped

1. Butter the sides of an 8 x 8 inch tin and line the base with greaseproof paper
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter till soft. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla.
3. Sift in the flour, baking powder and the chopped chocolate and mix to make the dough.
4. Put in the prepared tin and bake for about 30 mins.
5. Allow to cool into the tin . Run a knife through the sides and turn the tin onto a board to but into squares. 

Comments