Date Bars

This is exactly the recipe I look for, to try on lazy weekends. Simple, no fuss and no fail. And when I find these recipes, I know I can carry on with my lazing around and yet bake a treat that'll make my lazy weekend instantly very interesting.

This recipe is from my Rachel Allen book, Bake. A book I have pored over so often, knowing for sure,  I will find the perfect recipe, for whatever baking mood I may be in. I have exhausted my bright pink post it notes, marking so many recipes in this book, and I've scrutinized just the first half of the book so far.





This recipe like most on this blog, is extremely simple to make. Even if you are a baking novice, I'd tell you to go ahead and try this one. There is absolutely no worry about getting this one right, no usual baking rocket science involved. The only caution I could give you, is to mix the butter into the flour mixture correctly. Rub the butter into the flour using your finger tips, incorporating the butter into the flour, the best you can. The rest of the recipe is only following very basic instructions.

These date bars make an excellent snack and a perfect carry on for picnics or little weekend getaways or just the welcome basket for a new neighbour, or I would imagine perfect for a bake sale too. They are moist and melt in your mouth. They are also very filling and rich in taste , so make sure you cut them into little squares,









Date Bars

Adapted from Bake by Rachel Allen
Makes around 16 bars

Ingredients :
250 ml water ( 1 cup+1 tbsp)
200 gms dates,, chopped ( 1 cup +  1 tbsp)
175 gms plain flour( 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp soda bicarb
175 gms brown sugar ( little less than 1 cup)
100 gms porridge oats (1/2 cup)
175 gms butter, diced (3/4 cup )

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Butter the sides of an 8X8 square cake tin and line the base with grease proof paper.
2. Place the water and chopped dates in a saucepan and bring to simmer. Cook on a low heat for about 10 mins, uncovered. Take off from heat and let it cool.
3. In a large bowl, sift the flour and bicarb soda. Add the sugar and oats, mix well. Rub in the butter using fingertips, till moist clumps form.
4. Press half the oats mixture over the base of the prepared tin .Press down with the back of a spoon.
Spread the cooked date mixture over this and then sprinkle remaining oats mixture. Flatten the top with your plam.
5. Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
6. Let it cool completely in the tin, then cut into bars and serve.

Comments

  1. The recipe sounds easy peasy. Love that the measurements are also given in cups 😊 helps a ton with lazy ppl like me ! Adding dates & oats to this weekends grocery list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De those conversion measures are specially for you. :) Happy Baking. Make sure to send me pictures :) ...

      Delete
  2. This was an easy recipe. A definite favorite with the kiddo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment