Sticky Toffee Pudding

I got to admit, a  recipe for pudding doesn't really get me too excited. For some reason, pudding reminds me of a steamed dessert and immediately loses its charm. So when I came across this recipe for sticky pudding and learnt that it was a baked pudding I decided to give it a go.

I found this recipe in Nigella Bites , which by the way has some brilliant easy peasy recipes. Remember that annoyingly simple recipe for orange ice cream ? I found that one too in this book. So you see the pattern right?.






The recipe is a little too easy and a bit odd. I'll tell you about the odd bit in a while. This has got to be one of the fastest recipes I've ever tried.  If you leave aside the baking time, this recipe needs just ten minutes once you've got all your ingredients ready.

It starts off very straightforward;  mix the flour , sugar , dates, and then the milk , egg and butter. That's it . The pudding mixture is ready. You toss it into the baking dish  and while you might think you got to make the sauce separately, you're mistaken. The sauce is made with the pudding as it bakes and that is the odd bit. Once the pudding mix is ready and in the baking pan, you top it with some more sugar all over, then dot it with butter and then . . . . you pour half a litre of boiling water over it.!!! Yeah, I know it sounds weird and unsure. Trust me,  I read the recipe over and over again wondering if I had read it wrong. A couple of readings later, I realized it was the right way and moreover when Nigella tells you how to bake a dish, you don't fight it. So I didn't.


                         It's going to look something like this; the pudding mixture at  the bottom and the sauce mixture over it 


As reward for my unwavering loyalty, I was rewarded with a gorgeous sticky toffee pudding with delicious toffee sauce that I hadn't even spend any effort making.


Two things to remember when you make this pudding:

1. Use a large baking dish. Though the pudding mix doesn't look like much, it rises quite a bit. Moreover, as the pudding bakes the sugar, water and butter mix into a lovely toffee sauce and it bubbles over. I lost a bit of my precious toffee sauce as it bubbled over the dish and into my oven.

2. Serving it with vanilla ice cream makes it perfect!!!!







Sticky Toffee Pudding 

Adapted from Nigella Bites

Ingredients:

For the cake :
100 gms brown sugar
175 gms flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
125 ml milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
50 gms unsalted butter, metled
200 gms chopped dates

For the sauce :
200gms brown sugar
25 gms butter cut into cubes
500 ml boiling water


1. Pre heat the oven to 190 C .
2. For the cake, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda. In a jug,  whisk together the milk, egg, vanilla and melted butter. Add to the flour mixture, mixing with a spoon.
3. Fold in the dates and then scrape the mix into the pudding dish.
4. Sprinkle over the 200 gms sugar over the mixture, and dot with butter.Gently pour the hot water over the sugar and butter and transfer to the oven.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes. The pudding is done when the top of the pudding is springy to touch.




     

Comments