Chicken with Spinach.

Time for some more recipe experimenting. Making your own recipes is much fun and very rewarding. I often dream of having access to a Masterchef pantry. With such lovely ingredients and produce around I can't imagine being at a loss for inspiration. That being said, my humble kitchen also does the job . With my collection of recipe books pouring all over, my kitchen is my happy place!!!!.


I write this post as I listen to Christmas carols. My favourite time of the year is not too far away and I can't wait for it to get all Christmasy and magical. My domestic help is just as excited and has started the extra cleaning, getting my Chirstmas tree space all ready. This is a good time to start on some homemade wine and my recipe for apple wine is a perfect choice and fail proof . I've tried a lot of wines; rice, plum, date and apricot, mango, beetroot, but my apple wine is most loved. It makes a fantastic gift to take along while visiting family over or  to include in your kuswar for family and friends. I'm looking at new Christmas recipes that I can try out and put up on the blog. So let me be cliche and say " watch this space for more". Also if you have some favorite Christmas recipes that you'd like to share or some Christmas recipe you want, drop me an email at ronamarlene@gmail.com or leave a comment on the blog.


Now coming back to the chicken and spinach recipe. I kept the recipe simple and I'll keep the post just as simple. It's an easy recipe to try. No fuss, fresh and the spinach adds to the charm.


Make sure to use freshly ground garlic paste, it makes all the difference. You can also use ginger garlic paste. I find it easy to grind store bought peeled garlic in batches and store in the fridge. I have realized store bought paste has none of the flavour like homemade paste, as convenient it may be. With peeled garlic easily available in stores , all you need to do whiz it a bit in a mixie.



I cooked the chicken on high flame all through, this letting the chicken stay juicy and also making the dish, a bit of semi gravy. I added a sprinkle of chaat masala at the end just for some extra flavour, but the dish is complete even without it.


Chicken with Spinach. 

Ingredients:

1 tbsp oil
2 onions, sliced
1 inch cinnamon
3 cardamom
3 cloves
2 tbsp garlic paste
1 kg chicken
1 tsp chilly powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
250 gms, Spinach (palak), washed and roughly chopped
salt to taste
A sprinkle of chaat masala powder.

1. Heat oil in a non stick dish. Add the onions, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Fry till onions are brown.
2. Add the garlic paste, fry for a couple of minutes. Stir in the chilly, cumin and turmeric powders. Turn the flame to high and toss in the chicken pieces. Stir to coat the chicken pieces.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Let it cook on high heat. Stir in between to stop it from sticking to the pan.
4. When the chicken is almost cooked through, stir in the chopped spinach and cook for 5 mins.
5. Garnish chaat masala powder.  

Comments