Gingerbread House






This has to be the highlight of the year for me, in my baking world. Oh gosh, the excitement of making it, the research that went into finding the right recipe, and boy did I feel proud that I made it through. With this, I tick off another item on the food bucket list, which by the way, I definitely need to carry over to next year and this probably will be the last item ticked off on the list this year. Yeah, I know I have about a month more to go, but Christmas season is always such a busy time, I'm not sure.

Making this gingerbread house was such a memorable experience for me, and is the first of many things too. Apart from being the first gingerbread house I ever made or ate, this recipe also is the first video I made. I hope you'll like it . Let me know.


Anyway, some disclaimers about this gingerbread house :

1. This post is going to be a bit long. 

2. My gingerbread house was not perfect and I'm totally ok with that, in fact more than happy. This was my first attempt and I think I did pretty good. I was immensely happy to see that it actually stood and pieced up together, and I think I was as or even more excited than my nieces and nephews who got to cut into it finally. My house was a bit messy, my icing a bit runny but I can't think of any reason, why I wouldn't want to make this gingerbread house again. It was soooooo much fun.

3. This recipe worked for me and it should work for you. The only ingredient you might have to hunt for, is the golden syrup , which is available in cake supplies stores in Bangalore. You can also use treacle instead of golden syrup if that's easily available for you.

4. This will take some time. Yes it will. Though ideally it should take just a little more than a couple of hours from start to finish, I took longer. I wanted to give the structure enough time to set and I didn't want to take chances. So I gave it sufficient time to cool down once they were baked, sufficient time for the walls to set before I attached the roof, and some time after that before I decorated it, but it was all so worth it.




So let's get on with it :

For the gingerbread house you will need :

300 gm butter 
125 gm caster sugar 
125 gm brown sugar
225 gm golden syrup
725 gm flour
2 tsp soda bicarb
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon



For the icing :( which will act like glue to put the house together)

Mix together 500 gms sugar
2 egg whites

For decorating the house :

Sprinkles.
Gems
Coloured candies
Jujubes

1. Start by mixing the butter, sugars and golden syrup in a saucepan.  Heat the mixture on a low flame till the butter melts.
2, Sift the flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the melted butter mixture and mix together using a spatula or wooden spoon.
3. Knead the mixture for a few seconds, adding a bit of water if you need to , to bring the mixture together. The dough will be a bit crumbly at this point, don't worry. Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap it in cling film and place it in the fridge for about 30 mins.
4. While the mixture is chilling make your paper templates for the gingerbread house. (pics given below). You will need
Front and back wall : 12.7 x 17.7 cm
Sides : 12.7 x 15.2 cm
Roof : 10.7 x 17.7 cm

5. Preheat your oven to 180 C when you start to roll out the dough.


I've made a video for the rest of the instructions, to give you a better idea of how to go about making the house. Once the dough has chilled and the templates are ready, you can start making the gingerbread house. If you have a smaller oven, bake the pieces, 2 at a time, though you can roll them out all at one go and keep them ready on baking parchment.


When the dough has been baked and is cooling, you can make the icing. Make sure to keep it covered till you need to use it. To use the icing, put it in an icing bag, while still keeping the remaining icing covered, so that it doesn't dry up

Sides


Front and back wall

Roof

                     Watch the video for instructions on how to make this Gingerbread house.





Comments