Vanilla and Chocolate Cup Cakes


I love watching Rachael Allen’s show ‘Bake’. She makes baking sound really simple and after trying out some of her recipes , I realised it actually is. So here’s one I tried . . . ‘Cup Cakes’ . The original recipe was for lemon cup cakes, but lemon not being my favourite flavour I tried vanilla .
Some things to keep in mind while baking. Measurements are very important. Get a set of measuring cups and spoons. Flour (maida) should always be sieved before use and, when added to the cake mixture, do not whisk or mix it . Instead fold it in gently. And though you can beat the eggs, butter with a wooden spoon, it’s much easier done with an electric mixer. I only very recently bought one and it definitely reduces time and effort needed to make a nice cake.
Here’s how you make cup cakes. Preheat your oven to 180 C. Sift 150 gms flour with ¼ tsp baking powder. Keep aside.
Beat 125 gms butter till soft. Add 125 gms powdered sugar and beat till well mixed. Add 2 eggs, one by one and whisk. Add ¼ tsp of vanilla essence. Add the flour and fold gently. Pour into cup cake paper moulds and bake till done. I got a little experimental with the flavours and divided the mix into two and added a little cocoa powder to one part. And so I had a batch of chocolate cup cakes too...
The cakes are gonna rise quite a bit as they bake. So put just about a tbsp in each mould, leaving space for the cake to rise. If you fill it too much as I learnt from experience, the mix tends to spill out. Also when you spoon the mix into the moulds, it may not look even. Don’t worry it’ll get even as the cake bakes. You know the cakes are done, when you insert a toothpick in the cake and it comes out clean. I
The recipe also suggested butter cream icing. I made it , and as you can see, I’m not great at decorating. And I realised the cakes taste just as yum without the icing. So this is really optional. To make the icing, beat 50 gms butter and add 125 gms icing sugar little by little. Add a drop of vanilla essence and whisk lightly. When the cakes have cooled , you can spread the butter cream on it or pipe it on with an icing bag. If you wanna make chocolate butter cream icing, add cocoa to the icing and mix well........



You don have to stick to these flavours. Get adventurous and imaginative and who knows, you might come out with the recipe for some really  yum cup cakes.

Comments