Our Daily Bread.


Baking is in fashion for me and that’s what I have been exploring the most lately. Cakes, bakes, bread, muffin and all. So how exciting would it be if you could eat homemade bread for breakfast. I found it terribly fascinating and once I stumbled on the right recipe I could hardly wait to try it. Bread making is considered an art, it has specific techniques involved in kneading the dough, obviously techniques I haven’t mastered as an amateur chef. So how lucky am I to have found a recipe that was for a ‘No Knead Bread’.? Perfecto !!!!!!!
It hardly took any time and effort to make the dought, not to mention that I didn’t get my hands all sticky with flour and water. I must admit I am terrible at kneading. L That’s why this is my perfect recipe.
Bread needs yeast and one thing you got to be sure of is that you have good quality yeast. Most local brands are not that great I hear. So use one that you has worked well for you before.
Here are things you will need :
Flour : 375 gms. ( It needs to be sifted, but guess what I skipped that part and it still turned out fine)
Yeast 2 ¼ tsp
Oil 2 tbsp plus to oil the bowl and loaf tin
Sugar 1 tbsp
Warm water 1 ¼ cups
1 ¼ salt
Mix oil, sugar, salt and yeast and half the flour. Add the warm water. The water shouldn’t be boiling hot. Yeast requires water that is just about warm. With an electric beater beat this mix on low speed for 3 mins.
Add the remaining flour and mix with a spatula till the mixture forms a dough. This happened quite easily. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with a cloth. This is to keep the dough warm and let it rise. With the weather we have right now, this shouldn’t be a problem, but to speed up the process here’s what you do. Just heat your oven to 150 C for about 5 mins. Turn it off and place the oiled bowl in the oven . The warmth will help the dough rise. Wait for about 30 to 35 mins for the dough to rise and  double in size. Then punch it down lightly with your hands. Transfer it to an oiled loaf tin. You can cover it with greased aluminium foil. Let it rise again. When it has doubled, bake it at 190 C for 40 to 45 mins. If you wanna make it a little more fancy you can sprinkle some dried herbs or sesame seeds on top just before you bake it .
 And voila you have homemade bread on your table. Bask in the pure pride of making your own bread. I surely did. 

Comments