Strawberry and Mascarpone Ice Cream.


I came across this recipe on Suma Rowjee’s blog . The name of the dish was enough to make me wanna try it asap.. And to my luck my fridge had all the ingredients needed. I modified the procedure and ingredients a bit to make it simpler Anything cold would be perfect for this summer that is setting in.
This is all you will need
Mascarpone 400 gms
Strawberries 400 gms
Powdered sugar 200 gms
Vanilla Essence 
Vodka 1 tsp



Here’s what you do first. Wash and chop the strawberries. Mix ¾th  quantity  with 100 gms sugar and blend it to make a puree. (Keep some chopped strawberries aside to mix with the ice cream. It’s pure delight to find real fruit in your ice cream.) You can strain the puree if you like which is what I did or leave it as it is.



Mascarpone is available in a lot of places here in Bangalore. You can try Spar, Nilgiris or Super Market on Brigade Road. I have always used a brand called Impero.
Mix the Mascarpone with the remaining sugar and bring it to a boil over a low flame. When it has boiled it will no longer be firm in texture. Take it off the heat and add the vanilla essence. Just a couple of drops will do. Add the fruit puree and the chopped strawberries. Let the mixture cool and then add the vodka. 
You got to put it into a freeze proof container to prevent icicles forming in the ice cream. I didn’t have a container like that and so here’s what I did. I put it in a glass baking dish, covered it in cling film and then put on the lid. Put the mixture in the freezer and let it set. You will have to beat it with a fork a couple of times as it sets and put it back in the freezer to set again. Soften the ice cream a bit before serving.

I enjoyed this ice cream and I’m so glad I tried it. Hubby says it is the best ice cream he’s ever had. Now that was quite a compliment don’t you think?........

Comments

  1. it looks fantastic! gonna try it asap. thanks chef! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ronaaaa....
    Love! I'm going to have to glean as much as possible from your blog about all things yummy..:):)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment