Jujubes..............

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas and that means, along with that Christmas tree, carols and crib, it's time to get started with making those  Christmas goodies.. Now, we all know , how mangys get insanely busy in December with the 3 weddings a day and all that, in the Christmas season and I know I'm not going to have a lot of time in December to make my Christmas Kuswar. So I'm starting early. I'm happy I've finished one round of  Kuswar and to start the season, I made my favourite candy from my childhood ; Jujubes. I remember trips to  the Nilgiris supermarket were specially exciting coz mum would pick up a packet of Jujubes for me and boy did I enjoy those lil yellow, red and green bites. So that memory  kick started my search for a perfect,easy and fool proof recipe and contrary to my belief that making Jujbes was going to be a difficult and tricky process, it turned out to be easy and simple as it could get. Now I've tried this recipe a number of times and it has never failed me so I can tell you confidently to go ahead with it and try out a batch and you will see how super easy and simple it can get. Fast... I would't say that. It takes just 20 mins of cooking time and then a day of patience.. That's alll!!!!!!!!!!

So are you set to become a child again... Here's all you will need

50 gm gelatine
400 ml water
800 gm granulated sugar
2 limes
 Lemon and strawberry essence
Red, green, yellow food colouring, or whatever colour you'd like.
200 gms sugar for dusting
Begin with greasing the molds. I used a little olive oil to grease the molds. You could use non stick baking spray too. But this process is important and  makes it easy to remove the jujubes from the molds when they are done. There are two ways you can let the jujubes set; one grease a tray and cut it into shapes after they set or two use chocolate molds to let them set into different shapes. I had chocolate molds and went with that. Either methods, greasing the tray/mold is helpful.

Soak the gelatine in 200 ml of water and set it aside.
Mix the sugar(800gms) with the remaining water (200 ml) and stir it a bit before you put it to boil to make a syrup. Let it boil on a medium heat . Make sure you are using a large pot to boil this syrup coz it tends to rise quite a bit as it cooks.When all the sugar has melted, add the soaked gelatine and let it cook for  10 mins. Then add the juice of 2 limes and cook it further for another 10 mins. Take it off the heat.
Divide the mixture into how many colours you'd like to make. I made 3 portions and added lemon essence in yellow and orange colours and strawberry essence in the red colour. A few drops of essence will do.
Pour the mixture into the greased molds and let it set. If you are using plastic molds, make sure the mixture cools just a  little bit before you pour it into the molds, lest the plastic begins to melt.  Here's the part where patience sets in. Let the jujubes set at room temperature OVERNIGHT. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
When they have set , take them out of the molds and roll them in some sugar till they are well coated.They are not really gonna slide out like set chocolate, you'll need to gently pull them out of the mold, so no need to panic if they aren't sliding out. They are not supposed to. The jujubes will be sticky and elastic when you take them out of the molds, and that's what will the help the sugar coat on. . And there you go, first batch of Christmas sweets...... DONE.

Comments