Marbled chocolate crumble cake

Marble cakes remind me of my childhood, of the excitement that lurked around while making designs with chocolate and vanilla batter, the crazy wait to see what patterns it made as the batter baked and gosh the happiness of cutting into those lines of cream and brown. Though no longer a kid, I still feel as excited as an 8 year old would, about a marble cake, so many designs I could make, so many ways to go. So it didn't take me long to decide on this marble cake recipe, and though the idea of the crumble made it an added effort, (knowing how I like to keep cooking/baking very very simple ) the recipe for the crumble really meant just a toss of  few ingredients, so this still remained a very simple recipe.

This is from my Cake book by Rachel Allen, can't have enough of it. It's my only go to book these days and I have been neglecting all the other books around. Guilty of this partiality and I'm honest about trying to  get over it, but the challenges life throws at you I tell you. . Sigh....



Anyways, this cake turned out great, it was soft and the crumble gave it a very rustic look apart from making it sound very fancy while I gave some to my neighbour, which I why I went ahead with this recipe in the first place; it sounded fancy...

We can begin with the crumble first.

With your finger tips just rub together 125 g plain flour, 75 grams caster sugar, 75 gms butter( chilled and cut into small cubes), till it resembles breadcrumbs. Then toss in 75 gms dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips. I used milk.  Put it in the fridge while you start on the cake.

While the recipe stated a 9 inch round cake tin, I used a large loaf tin, you could use either. Using a loose bottomed/ spring form tin is better, coz it allows to take the cake out without messing up the crumble.

For the cake you will need

225 gms butter, softened
225 gms caster sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanila
225 gms flour
2 tsp baking powder
50 ml milk
25 g cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 180 C, butter and flour the cake tin.
Usual cake making method to be followed. First cream the butter and sugar, then add in the eggs one by one, then the vanilla, sift in the flour and baking powder . Add the milk and gently combine.

Now for the marbling part of the cake. Tip out half the mixture into another bowl and sift in the cocoa to this half. And now for the very #FUN,# PRETTY# CHILDHOOD MEMORY part of this recipe. Place spoonfuls of the two different cake mixtures into the tin, alternatively, the vanilla and the chocolate, and when you're done with both the batters, run a skewer to gently draw swirls. Don't over mix it ; you'll lose that lovely marbled effect.
 Now while I forgot to take pictures as I marbled the mix (Guilty) I did find this blog that has pictures to explain the above steps. Once you've marbled the cake, gently tip the crumble mix over the cake mixture. I felt using all the crumble mix was a bit too much and so just used 3/4 th the mix. Bake for about 50-60 mins.

Cake's done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 mins before you tip it out.

All you got to do now is cut into that cake and see what patterns you find in each slice. Happiness!!!!!!!!

Comments

  1. Looks tempting. Sounds easy to make

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment