Fish Pickle

I love making homemade stuff. You'd have guessed that by now. Jams, pickles, marmalade, wines, I love making them all from scratch. I often think if given the chance I could try recipes all day. There's always so many I want to try. From my cookbook pile, pinterest addiction, from the hundreds I've copied from TV shows, from friends, family. aunts, neighbours,  . . . . .  when am I gonna try them all??? So many recipes so little time. SIGH!!!!!

This is the first pickle recipe I'm putting up here, sadly it isn't the first I've tried. That , would be the pork pickle I tried years ago,  that turned out to be a complete disaster. So my confidence wasn't soaring high when I decided to try this one. Yet , the urge to make it just couldn't be ignored. I first tasted this pickle at my friend Becky's place. You see, her husband Gary loves fish, and a friend of his had given him a bottle of this lovely fish pickle. My mouth wouldn't stop watering at the very sight of this pickle, and even just a whiff of that pickely aroma kicked my taste buds. And once I had tasted it, I just knew I had to make it. I put my plea before Gary to get me the recipe and we made a deal : he gets me the recipe and I make him a bottle. Deal done. So this recipe really has a long chain to find it's origin,  friend's husband's friend's sister's recipe sorta chain. Thanks to Hashmia for this recipe. This easy homemade fish pickle recipe is  treasured and bookmarked for ever.






So like I said, I wasn't too confident of trying to make a pickle all on my own. The solution to that problem, was getting my mum to make it with me. Mum used to make lovely fish and prawn pickles and I figured she'd get this one right. Note to self.: must remind mum to make some of that lovely prawn pickle and must get the recipe too.

I first tried this recipe with my mum helping me and we made it using prawns. Though we didn't manage to get it at the right consistency, it tasted absolutely divine. I got back to Bangalore, and then tried this recipe a couple more times, once with prawn and then with fish and yes, it turned out great both times.

This recipe is easy to follow and I did modify the method to make it slightly easier and it tastes just as great. Though I've still not been able to get it at the perfect consistency like Hashmia made it, this pickle tastes absolutely GREAT and you really can't go wrong with it. I've put up the measurements, but you can alter them a bit, depending on how much spice you like. This recipe makes a medium spicy pickle. You can also try this recipe with prawns, like I did the first time and you'll end up with a pickle just as nice.


Start by getting all your ingredients together. First a little marinade for the fish. Once you cleaned and cut your fish, just toss it in a mixture of vinegar, chilly powder , turmeric and salt.  I used about a tsp of each. I used seer fish . Since the fish was already sliced when I got it, I just cut it into smaller pieces with a kitchen scissors. You can use Mackeral, or any firm white fish, and you can get it cut into cubes when you buy it. The marinade is like a spice rub and doesn't really need any more liquid than that vinegar. I let the fish marinate for about 20 mins, while I got the other ingredients ready. You can let it sit longer if you have the time.


Then starting with the aromatics, use half the portion of the ginger, garlic, chillies to make a fine paste, using a little water. Chop the other half. Not having the patience to chop it fine, I put the ginger garlic and chilly in the small jar of the mixie  and pulsed it for a few seconds without any water and I ended up with finely chopped, 








It's best to have all your ingredients ready before you start making this pickle. It's not the kind of recipe that puts you in a pickle if you don't hurry up, buuut  you'd rather have everything ready and the recipe can progress quite smoothly. 
Starting with the fish. The recipe uses sesame oil. As I modified the recipe a bit to make it a slightly easier process ,here's how I went ahead. First, I fried the marinated fish in the oil. The fish needs to fry really well, so I let it fry for about 15 mins. As that fried,  in a separate pan, with a little bit of the sesame oil, I spluttered the mustard seeds, then popped in the fenugreek seeds and the curry leaves. This followed by the chopped chilly, ginger and garlic, that I pulsed in the mixie. I fried it till it turned brown, not burnt though. By this time, the fish had cooked and I added this ginger garlic mix to the fish, with all the oil.

We have a little more to go to get this yummy pickle done. To the fried fish, still cooking in the oil with the curry leaves, et all, I added the ginger garlic paste, and fried a little more, till it turned colour. Turning off the flame for just a bit, I added the powders; chilly, turmeric, salt, sugar, and the vinegar. I let the mixture come to a boil, and when it did, I sprinkled the fenugreek powder and my fish pickle was readyyyyy........Cooled the mixture and stored in a clean, dry bottle. The taste and flavour of the pickle does improve with time. I keep it refrigerated.


Give this recipe a try, it doesn't matter if you've never tried making pickle before. Trust me, this recipe won't let you down. And these jars of pickle make great gifts, specially to fish lovers. Ask Gary....



Fish Pickle

Source : Hashmia

Ingredients :
1 kg fish, cut into cubes

For the marinade :
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt
Vinegar : 1 tbsp

Grind to a paste :
1 whole pod of garlic
1 inch ginger
3 green chillies

Chop finely : (Or pulse in the mixie)
1 whole pod of garlic
1 inch ginger
2 green chillies

Powders and other ingredients :
Sesame oil 200 ml
Mustard seeds 1 tspn
Fenugreek seeds : 2 tspn
Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
Chilly powder : 75 gms
Turmeric powder : 1 tspn
Sugar 1 tspn
Vinegar : 150 ml
Fenugreek powder : 1/2 tspn


Method
1. Start by marinating the fish and keep aside for atleast 30 mins.
2. Heat 150 ml of the sesame oil and fry the fish for about 15 mins
3. In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds, let them splutter. Add the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
4. Add the finely chopped ingredients. Fry till brown.
5. Add this mixture to the fried fish and continue cooking
6. To this add the ground paste. Fry till brown.
7. Turn off the flame. Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt, vinegar and sugar.
8. Bring the mixture to a boil . Sprinkle fenugreek powder.
9. Cool and bottle.


Comments