Orange Ice Cream

Remember the Food Bucket List I made earlier this year. Scroll down to number 9 on that list and you'll know why I had to make this ice cream. That, plus the fact that it's getting all summery around here and because I love ice cream, plus because orange ice cream you get in stores is almost always full of essence and you know it can be better and plus a 20 other reasons...........


So, the thought of making ice cream can be daunting to a few or most of us, and me with considerable reason.  I first tried making ice cream when I was about 8. Vanilla ice cream apparently. I made it, I burnt it , I served it, I tasted it and then vowed I'd never try it again. But I don't always keep my promises, unless I make them at Christmas time.  So many years later, I managed to get over the humiliation that serving burnt ice cream brings and decided to try making ice cream again. I was 25 years now. This time I didn't want to take chances.  I decided nothing less than an ice cream machine would do. I got the fastest available model I could find and I tried making mango ice cream. This machine made the task anything but easy. Not only did it make a loud grinding sound like I was churning concrete in my kitchen, the instructions spelled out were nearly impossible to follow. I needed to surround the churning tub with ice cubes and rock salt, something like that. Long story made short, though I improved oodles on taste, texture was a big let down.

Cut to 3 years later, I found a recipe that seemed anything but like the real thing. It was way toooo simple, way too devoid of churning and all that jazz, I had my doubts. But then the recipe was from Nigella's book , reason enough to be trusted. That domestic goddess wouldn't lead you astray now. Would she.


This ice cream is super easy to make and perfect if you're a first timer. It involves absolutely no churning or whipping in between phases of freezing . All you need to know is how to whip some fresh cream into soft peaks, and if you have an electric beater, that'll do the job for you. If not, a hand held whisk is just fine and just a tad more effort.

These are originally made with Seville oranges known also marmalade oranges or bitter orange. With a dash of lime juice to compensate for the lack of bitterness, that seville oranges give,  as Nigella suggest you can use regular oranges. I used  Nagpur oranges and it did the job. For the cream, you need to use full fat cream, so the regular Amul cream won't do. I used Milky mist cream. Niligiris cream or any with medium to full fat cream will do. Also make sure the cream has been chilled  and you're whipping the cream in a chilled  vessel . You need to whip the cream only till it forms soft peaks, so you don't need to worry about over beating the cream and risking it splitting. There, that's all you need to know before making this ice cream. Let's go. I've modified the recipe a bit, slightly tweaking measurements , to make enough to serve 3.


Orange Ice Cream

Adapted from Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson
Serves 3


Ingredients:

 2 oranges
 2 limes
100 gms icing sugar
200 ml medium to full fat cream

1. Into a chilled bowl, grate the zest of the oranges and one lime.  Squeeze juice of the limes and oranges. Mix.
2. Add the icing sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
3. Add the chilled cream and whisk, till it holds soft peaks.
4. Put into a shallow air tight container and freeze for about 4 hours.
5. You can serve it with some wafers or on its own.







Comments

  1. It can't really be this simple .... It has too few steps that I am worried I will bungle it up :( but definitely am gonna try

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment