Karai Chicken

I'm not sure about the origin of this dish. Google couldn't really tell me much about it, for the first time. The one thing I know for sure about the dish is that it is super easy to make and turns out pretty great, specially in proportion to the effort and skill involved.



The strange thing about cooking is that the same ingredients can produce very different dishes, depending on the way you cook them . That's something I realized profoundly, after making this dish. The recipe uses onions, ginger garlic paste and chilly powder mainly and I wondered how good the dish would eventually turn out. It turned out great and is now, definitely on my list of go to recipes. I loved making it and loved even more eating it and can't wait to make it again.


You really can't go wrong with this recipe so I urge you to try it, even if you have never stepped into the kitchen before . I used one cooking pot for this recipe, start to finish, which made it all the more appealing, considering I had fewer dishes to throw into the sink. It is a sorta dry, semi masala dish, so paratas or chappatis will be best for company. And yes, follow the golden rule: " Use homemade ginger garlic paste and not store bought ".

I found this recipe in Zarine Khan's book Family Secrets and tweaked it a bit, mostly skipping on the green chillies and sticking to one pot to make the dish. I bought the book in the profound hope of learning some Indian cooking, because I got a little secret of my own; apart from Mangalorean curries, I can't really cook Indian much. But now that is going to change with this book for company.




Karai Chicken :

Ingredients :

Chicken : 1 kilo cut into pieces
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 large onions sliced
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp chilly powder
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste. 

1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick vessel. Add the chicken on high flame and cook for 5 mins, browning on all sides. 
2. Reduce flame, add salt and turmeric and fry for a couple of minutes. 
3. Add about 1/2 cup water, cover the vessel and let the chicken cook till done. 
4. Remove the chicken and keep aside in a plate. In the same vessel, heat 1 tbsp oil and fry the onions till they turn colour. 
5. Add the ginger garlic paste, salt and chilly powder . Mix well and fry for 5 minutes. 
6. Add 2 to 3 tbsp water and let it simmer for a few minutes.  
7. Add the cooked chicken to the pan and toss well. Serve garnished with coriander leaves. 

Comments