Chocolate Amaretto Cake

Looked through one of the latest additions to my kitchen book shelf, "The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook" and found this super simple recipe for a delicious chocolate cake. As I type this I  realize, I haven't really picked up a new cookbook in a while. Any suggestions? What are your favourite or go to cookbooks. I'd love to hear.



So the recipe asked for amaretto flavoured liqueur. I had Disaronno lying around and went ahead with that. Also the recipe asks for melted chocolate and I got to admit, at times I've skipped a recipe, because of this, but, melting the chocolate in the microwave in short spurts made this a super simple requirement for an otherwise very easy cake.

The cake is fairly easy to make, and the batter doesn't take much time to make. In fact, I decided to make this cake, last minute when a friend said she was dropping in for a quick visit. I did what I always love to do; find an excuse to bake. I hope you give this a try.



Chocolate Amaretto Cake

Ingredients:

170 gms chocolate
225 gms or 2 sticks butter
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp amaretto flavoured liqueur

1. Begin with melting the chocolate. Roughly chop the chocolate and place in a microwave safe bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, in 30 - 60 second intervals, stirring in between. Keep aside
2.Grease and line a 9 inch round tin. Pre heat the oven to a 175 C
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter till it is nice and fluffy. Toss in the sugars and beat till well incorporated.
4. Follow the golden rule of adding the eggs one by one. When all 4 eggs have been beaten in, stir in the melted chocolate.
5. Add half the milk, followed by sifting in the baking soda and half the flour. Then the rest of the milk and the flour.
6. Beat in the extracts and the liqueur and your batter is set to go.
7.Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin and the cake will take about 45 mins to bake.
8. Another golden rule, the cake is done, when a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  

Comments