Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

Cookies haven't been my best bet when it comes to baking. Scroll through the blog and you'll see I don't have too many recipes for cookies. So rest assured the ones I've put up here are definitely fail proof and this one is no exception. This recipe for fruit biscuits has been an absolute winner and so has the recipe for melting moments. I can vouch for them and they are my go to recipes when it comes to making cookies. 

I haven't had much luck with cookies, apart from the recipes I just mentioned, so I'm a bit hesitant to try making more of them.  Though the recipes have been simple, I've gone wrong with texture mostly, though I got to say, they've always tasted great. So no trouble finishing them up really. But then, the joy in baking is that you always have hope that a new recipe will work. How beautiful is that. So this recipe has been an absolute ray of hope in that sense.





I'm not a big fan of Oatmeal for breakfast. I know it's healthy and all, but they haven't got me yet. So it kinda feels good that I can sneak them into baking some goodies. I've used multi grain oats in this recipe. Somehow they seem more cool and I bet they add a tad more crunch, but you can go with regular oats. I can't fool you here, saying these are low cal, coz I doubt they are. Yes they have oatmeal, but they also have sugar, peanut butter and flour. In my limited knowledge of healthy eating, these don't make it to the top of the list. But what these cookies are, are absolute joy, easy peasy, fail proof, a mix of crunchy and chewy and a totally good idea on a Monday afternoon. 



The cookie dough is fairly simple to make, apart from being fairly tempting to eat, even before you bake it, so I suggest you get it baking asap. It uses both brown and regular sugar, and I wouldn't skip or replace either. I also used a general doze of vanilla because I love vanilla, I really do. With the peanut butter, I used crunchy, because if there is peanut butter in the house it's always crunchy. Sorry creamy, you are nice too, but crunchy is crunchy. 


The cookies will seem a bit soft when they have baked for the specified time but don't worry they crisp up as they cool down. You also don't need to line your baking tray with baking paper, because the butter in the dough will do, to keep it non sticky. So less prep, yayyyyy.

I don't know how long these will stay good, coz a batch of these don't take too long to go down, but I'm guessing they'll do perfectly fine in a cookie jar for at least a week, if not more.


Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 30

Ingredients :
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

180 gm butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups oats
2 tbsp peanut butter

1. Start with preheating your oven to 175 C. 
2. In a small bowl, sift in the flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, toss in the butter and sugars and beat till creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat till  just incorporated. Add the oats and peanut butter and beat till it blends in.  
4. Add in the flour mixture in 3 parts, running the beater on low, till the dough comes together. 
5. Using a small sized ice cream scoop, you can place rounded tablespoons of dough, on the tray, slightly apart, giving it space to bake and expand. 
6. If you want to skip the ice cream scoop, use tablespoons to roughly shape the dough and flatten slightly with your hand as you place the dough on the tray.
7. Bake the cookies for 20 -22 mins. Leave them to stand in the oven for 5 mins after they've baked and then transfer to a wire rack to cool them down. 

Comments