Whole Wheat Choco Chip Cookies




I've been experimenting a bit with whole wheat baking lately. After being a whole wheat snob for most of my baking life, I have finally given in, and for the first time I'm not really regretting it. I've got to be honest here ;not all experiments have turned out great. Just when I had begun to feel like my years of baking could help me judge a recipe, I found out that baking is just no fun, unless you  have a little miss and a flop in the kitchen every now and then. What fun would it be, if you didn't end up with a cookie that refused to break or a cake that turned out too dry. Makes for interesting memories, these ones and of course leads to more experimenting. How else would I end up with this chocolate and cream pudding dessert.





My goal to get fit, has pushed me towards making healthier choices with food. Don't get me wrong now, I still need my treats every now and then, but when it comes to everyday food, I definitely pick the better food. So the last few months have included a lot of whole wheat baking, and also substituting sugar with honey, just to keep it more natural and organic.




I made a batch of these cookies, so my lil boy Zi could take them for his school snack and gosh!!!! the joy of knowing that your child is eating a home cooked, nutritious snack is surreal. While I love packing his favorite fruits in his snack box, both he and I know, that seeing a cookie in the box , every once in a while, brings a little more joy and where's the harm in that.




I found the dough fairly simple to make. Once ready, I preferred shaping little bits of dough into rounds and flattening them a bit to shape them into cookies. They do puff up and spread out a bit while they bake, so don't flatten them too much and remember to leave space while lining them up on the baking sheet. I added some choco chips to this one, but I'd love to get creative and see what else I could. Probably some dry fruit ?






I've tried reducing the sugar in this recipe by substituting for more than half of it with honey and it worked out just fine. If you have any tips of healthy substitutes for sugar in baking, I'd love to hear about it. Leave a comment here or on my Instagram page .





Getting to the recipe now :


Whole Wheat Choco Chip Cookies 

Ingredients: 

225 gms butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup choco chips

Method:

1. Begin with the most pleasurable part first, of sifting the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl, sift the wheat flour, baking powder , baking soda and set aside. Is it just me who enjoys this bit or is it a universal thing?
2. In a separate bowl , beat the softened butter till it turns pale, then add in the sugar and honey and beat till it gets creamy.
3. Follow the rules and toss in the eggs, one by one, beating only till it incorporates into the mixture. lastly stir in the vanilla.
4. On the lowest speed of the beater, fold in the dry ingredients mixture, in batches till all is done. Finally, add in the choco chips, beating till you see them distributed fairly evenly.
5. Using small tablespoons of dough, roll out lil rounds and shape into cookies. Line them on a baking sheet, leaving space for them to spread out as they bake.
6. Put in a preheated oven of 180 C and bake for about 16-18 mins.
7. You'll know the cookies are done when they crisp up on the surface. Happy cookieing. 

Comments